Monday, December 20, 2010

all-inclusive stories

I have been thinking for a few years about writing a book about surviving all-inclusives. This is my tenth tropical trip in the past five years, and seventh time in the Mayan Riviera, so I starting to feel like I know the ropes a bit. For example, packing. The first time I packed for one of these trips I was an idiot, and I have learned a thing or two. Okay, so before my internet time runs out, here are the essentials: 1. Facecloths. For some reason, you have to be willing to sell a kidney to get clean facecloths every day. This seems to hold true for most properties. I do not know why this is, but now I pack ten. 2. First aid kit. Someone WILL get a weird injury, and you do not want to have to wait in line for bandaids. Whether it is cutting your toes on coral, or doing what I did today, which was slice my hand open on a rusty screw while I was working out on the treadmill, it is a good idea to carry polysporin, bandages, advil, immodium, etc. 3.Books and DVD's and a DVD player. The sun goes down at 5 in the winter. There is only so much you can eat and drink. Then you have to go to your room and see if there is anything interesting on THE English channel. Trust me, take DVD's instead of shoes. 4. Liquid hand soap for the room. I don't know about you, but I hate washing my hands with that nasty bar soap that hotels give you as "an amenity". This time I brought a brand new bottle of Bath & Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom hand soap, and life is good.

Okay, I am down to 5 minutes, and still need to post. Will update again, as want to remember my thoughts as they come. TTFN. Wish you were here.

1 comment: