Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Seven Jeans, Piercings, Acrylics, Carrie Diaries and Laptops

Caught in a classic conundrum...is it better to wear the slightly too tight Sevens to dinner, so that I order less, or the slightly too loose ones, so that I am comfortable? Or better yet, a skirt...hmmm...
I was thinking today about things that are slightly over-rated. I got a small nose piercing at the end of May that I was oh-so excited about. The damn thing never healed properly though, hurt constantly, and I swear it gave me headaches that STARTED in my nose and travelled to the base of my skull. Now my lovely massage therapist, Lisa, amongst others, would tell me that this is not surprising since piercings screw with your body's meridians and can totally mess you up. I was willing to suffer for sexy, but honestly, it just wasn't worth it.
Then I was thinking about the acrylic/gel nails that I have never bothered to get until about six months ago. I finally caved because although my own nails have always been strong and decent, I was fed up trying to keep them looking good, since no one seems to be able to invent polish that won't chip immediately. So I went for fakeys. They have been a disappointment. The cost of keeping them done is astronomical, my own nails grow so fast that I constantly had to have them filled, weird stuff gets in them when they start to "lift" or come unglued, and trying to use my blackberry was a true nightmare. The spelling mistakes were often humiliating. When I finally had them removed, my own nails were left looking like I had tried to scratch my way to safety out of prison.
NOT a disappointment: My new cute little lightweight laptop. I love this stinker. I can carry it anywhere, and if I find myself waiting for someone, bored, excited, or just in the mood for internet, there it is. Absolutely mandatory is the little stick from Telus that allows me to have internet anywhere, even when I can't find an available network. Because honestly, how useful is the internet on the blackberry? Sorry, but for anything beyond a phone number, trying to search for something or someone on handheld devices is still almost annoying as it was three years ago. i can't stand it. Love my laptop. I have named it Ruby in honour of the ruby slippers, even though it is silver, because so were the ruby slippers. They were made of silver in the book, not rubies. Get it?
Lastly, most people know that I am crazy about Sex and the City. I finally broke down and bought The Carrie Diaries, the prequel book. I resisted for a long time, wanting to avoid disappointment. It did NOT disappoint, so I just went out yesterday and picked up #2: Summer and the City. So far, so good. I know it's not "The Incredible Lightness of Being", but it makes me happy. I have done the phase where it was all about reading profound literature, seeing French films, and absurdist theatre. You know what that leads to? Tears! I am doing escapist entertainment, and smiling my little lips off.

1 comment:

  1. Okay....

    Skirt
    Ouch
    Annoying
    I got it.
    Never seen it.

    And I'm glad that you are still as nutty as usual. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete