Saturday, August 21, 2010

Radium, BC


A couple of weeks ago we loaded up the dog and headed out camping. We did not have a clear idea of where we wanted to go, but we totally scored. I have not been to Radium in years, but it is marvelous. We camped in the National Park at Redstreak Campgound. They charge for fires, but the 8 bucks a day includes ALL THE FIREWOOD YOU CAN BURN. This is significant because hauling firewood is not fun and can be expensive for us urbanites who don't have trees to hew down. Which remindes me of a redonkulously funny quote from Glee to the real estate agent: It's always been my dream to cut down my own Christmas tree. How many Christmas trees will we have in our yard?
Anyhow, our campsite had a gorgeous view of the town, it is close to the hot springs so we went to the hot springs every morning, it had showers (miracle), and was only a 15 minute drive from Invemere. Now apparently if you are disgustingly wealthy and have money to burn, you move to Invemere. There are literally palaces ringing the lake. Several people have private docks with MULTIPLE boats, wave runners, and one that I can only describe as a speedy-looking yacht. I would like to become close personal friends with the people who own the castle that four of the mega-structures around it could have fit into. I would love to go and stay with them each summer. If anyone knows them, please pass on my name to them. I don't eat much and I could easily get lost in that fortress of theirs, so they wouldn't even know I was there.
If you are in Radium and looking for a healthy lunch (because for some reason all the restaurants serve schnitzel exclusively), go to the Prestige Inn. Their restaurant has a "house" salad that is to die for. It is inexpensive, huge and full of delicious ingredients, more like a chef's salad. Also, for breakfast the Melting Pot is delicious AND has gluten-free bread.
Also I plan to go back to that area in the summer to go to Fernie. That place has exploded with small town charm and BC tree-lover lifestyle that I love. There is an organic cafe that is outta sight.

2 comments:

  1. I'm ready - let's go! Where exactly is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/SearchResultsListings/ListingsDetails/BritishColumbia.htm?CATID=4629&LOCID=20&KWDS=&NBY=False&FLID=20&FL2ID=132&PN=1&PID=4544460&gclid=CNjuptqT0KMCFQT5iAodui5PvQ
    Copy, paste, and visit this site.

    ReplyDelete