Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Aloha from Kaua'i, Garden Isle and home of the wettest place on Earth, though you would never know it this week. The sun is scorching hot, and while the trade winds bring relief from the heat, they also fool you into thinking that the sun is not as intense as it is. Mom has spoken for years about bringing all of us kids here together, so when choosing a place to say bye to her before my big move, there was only one option.

Mom spent most of her time in Maui and a bit on Oahu. In fact, she has spent time on all the islands, except the forbideden island of Ni'ihau. We tried to charter a helicopter to take us there, but they are down for servicing until September at the earliest.

I am soooo glad we came to Kaua'i. And I am so happy that we chose the property we did. For one thing,, Kaua'i is still small town. There are no high rises, in fact, not that many roads. The commute from here (Kapa"a) into the city of Lihue where the airport is and the Kaua'i Athletic Club, is not lined with buildings, but with palms, ferns, beaches, and jungle. Honestly, I don't know how I would ever make it into work. There always seems a more pleasant diversion. Anyway, the locals agree that it is more like old Hawai'i here, which is what I was so hoping for when I booked this.

As for our hotel, it is just a small hotel, with low rise buildings, a small pool, a bar, and oceanfront rooms, which we have. We are literally twelve steps away from the water and sleep with the balcony open all night to listen to the pounding surf and have the breezes cool us off. The air conditioner we leave on during the day when we are not here and then shut it off when we arrive.

We have visited the Hyatt and Marriott properties for dinner. They are beautiful resorts, but having spent so much time in Mexican resorts, I am glad that we are where we are. Staying in a luxury resort is so wonderful, but I have to be able to tell the difference. I want to be in a property where it FEELS like Hawai'i so that I remember to say Aloha and Mahalo instead of Hola and Gracias. Plus this way we must scout out fruit stands, restuarants, shopping and activites on our own, which I love.

I have been so blessed this summer to get to spend time in Kelowna with Catherine, Costa Rica with Scott, and now Kaua'i with Mom. I feel very spoiled. But now I feel fortified to do what I am going to do in ten short days. Get on an airplane and fly away from everyone I love to start my new life in Doha. Gulp. Well, I am almost fortified.

The sun is just rising here. I am off to Lihue to the gym. Gotta get back by the time mom is up to get to the farmer's market and try to find her a pineapple. So far we have nailed down papaya, mango, coconut, and guava, but we are still on the hunt for real Hawaiian pineapple.

Aloha and have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

  1. Definitely want to see more pictures of your vacation. We loved Kauai!! I think our favorite was the hiking back in the NaPali. We hiked all over that island and loved every moment. So glad you were there!

    ReplyDelete